Gas Safety Certificates

From £40 call us on 07916382803

Landlord Gas Safety Record: the low down

As a landlord letting a residential property, you have a legal duty to ensure it’s safe for your tenants. This means you’re required by law to get a Gas Safe registered engineer to do an annual gas safety check on all gas appliances – and it’s the results of these checks that are recorded in your Landlord Gas Safety Record. You’ll receive a copy, and you’ll need to provide a record of this check to your tenants.

In your record, you should find:

  • A description and location of each appliance or flue that was checked
  • The name, registration number and signature of the engineer who made the checks
  • The date the checks were carried out
  • The address of the property where the appliances or flues are installed
  • Your name and address (or an agent’s where applicable)
  • Information on any safety defects and actions needed or taken to fix them
  • The results of all operational safety checks carried out on the appliances

The gas pipework in your rented property must also be kept in a safe condition. Installation pipework is not covered by the annual gas safety check, but both we and the HSE recommend that when you request a safety check, you ask your Gas Safe registered engineer to:

  • Test for tightness on the whole gas system, including installation pipework
  • Visually examine the pipework (so far as is reasonably practicable)

Want to see an example of what the Landlord Gas Safety Record should look like? Download it here.

Whether you’re a landlord or a tenant, you’ll find lots more information on gas safety in rented accommodation in the Gas Safe Renting A Property section.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Advice for landlords ​

The HSE have provided specific guidance for landlords, to help them with understanding their responsibilities during the pandemic.